Friday, August 8, 2008

Angkor Wat




These are just a few of the pictures I took - one in Angkor Wat - the restored temple, one of a tree growing over the temple of Ta Phrom, and also, one of Kate in a tree growing through Ta Phrom.

Kate and I went the amazing ruined temples of Angkor Wat today. We had arranged for a driver named Lucky, and got to see both restored temples and Ta Phrom which is famous becaus it is still covered in trees and jungle (it's natural state since it has become overgrown). It was phenomenal. It is a world renouned historical sight so there was a much greater variety of tourists there than I have seen for most of my trip - many people who may have made the trip just to see the temples here.

Angkor Wat is just one part of the preserved area - there are actually many temples in the complex. It is big enough that you pretty much have to drive around it. Half-way through our exploration it began to pour. Now, we are not opposed to a bit of rain, and it is even quite cooling - but this was coming down in buckets. Our tuk-tuk driver actually climbed in the back with us while it rained so hard because he could hardly see to drive! When we went into a temple Ta Phrom, I ended up with a plastic shopping bag over my head because it was so wet out - and we didn't want to buy ponchos from the kids selling them! I did end up being quite wet, but it was worth it. I have dry clothes now, and I sure didn't have to worry about being cold!

1 comment:

Keri said...

Amazing!! I finally have a bit of time at work for "research" and your blog has been the most helpful :)! I will be RIGHT THERE in October (whoo hoo) so I can't wait to hear everything about your trip before I go!