Saturday, August 16, 2008

Jewlery Making Class

Being the art teacher that she is, Kate jumped on the opportunity to take a jewelry making class here, and I thought, why not! Today we went to the workshop and had a chance to choose what we wanted to make (ring, bracelet, pendant) and then complete the whole process using stainless silver. I have certainly decided that I do not want to be a jeweler, but it was really cool to start and finish a whole project in one day. There were way more steps than I imagined, and of course, I chose a difficult, curved design...why couldn't I have just done something easy? So, it looks like it's my first project. We'll see if I wear it - it was really more about the experience. Going through all of the steps was like trying to meditate your way to Nirvana - the instructor just kept saying...do more!!!


The Plans

Preparing the Metal

Kate Cutting the Ring Shape

Carving in the Design

Sanding

Final Product

No comments: