Saturday, July 12, 2008

Chiang Mai

We have had the most relaxing 24 hours possible!!! Lewis and I took a deep breath as soon as we arrived in Chiang Mai - it was one of our favorite cities last time we were here, and though it has become more Americanized, it is still wonderful. It is not as busy and stressful as other cities, and there is an old city inner moat area that has everything we could need. Last time we were here there was one Starbucks, and now there are several, and after several weeks, it is so nice to get a drink and know what it will taste like. We have found a great guesthouse, had massages yesterday, and even got laundry done. It is so great to know that none of the clothes in my bag have dried sweat on them! I even managed to get my nails done, which was more of a thorough cleaning process than anything else.

It seems like we have been at one extreme or the other throughout our trip - in heaven or hell basically! Sometimes that's what traveling is like, but it is so nice to be here. I was worried that I would begin to feel tired of traveling or Asia too quickly, since I still have about 6 weeks here, but it doesn't seem like too long at all. If anything, I feel jealous of the students from Austrailia and Europe who are here for 6months to a year. It seems to be pretty common for students to take a year before or after college and backpack around. We have met many people who have come through India or Russia, and are doing most of SE Asia, going to Austrailia and New Zealand, and then most go to South America or the states. Most students seem to have worked for several months and banked all their money and are going as long as it lasts. It makes me wish I had more time! Many people are doing this as a family or with really young kids, which is also encouraging. I think Lewis and I will probably try that at some point!

I meant to post some more pictures today, but the computer does not recognize my camera, so I'll find somewhere else soon.

No comments: