Regardless of my fear of fish, I have spent a bit of time studying the crabs scurrying along the beach here. Not yesterday, because it was so overcast that we were inside all day, but today. There are all of these little white crabs and they dig holes. When they run across the sand they move so fast that I can't even see their legs moving, it's as if they were floating! When I lay on the beach, I often watch just one-it'll come scurrying up out of a hole in the sand, pause half way out, and then run out, dump a clawful of sand out and return to repeat the process. I can't figure out why they dig the holes, but they aren't for permanent homes, because they're within the tide line. They range in size from as small (legs included) as a nickel, to as big as a fist. The big ones are the most fun to watch since you can actually see what they are doing. When you sneak up on them, they dash to the water if you're blocking their hole!
The other sea life I have encountered is a bit more mysterious. Sometimes when we're swimming there is a sharp pain, like a sting in one specific location on our bodies, a leg, hand, whatever. I really don't think Lewis is pinching me, because I'd know it, and it probably isn't fish bites since there aren't any to be seen where we swim. Someone suggested jellyfish, and that seems reasonable, though I haven't seen any-maybe that's why they are so sneaky, you CAN'T see them!
The sheer number of flies buzzing around and landing on me are driving me crazy, seeing as I'm invading their much coveted shade, so it's time to get moving. A couple more days in this paradise and it will be time to move on. I'm almost out of books which is the sure sign to move (5 books since we got to this beach). The next beach has a used book store and I'll feel much better not worrying about running out of reading material. (I know-self proclaimed queen of the nerds!)
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment